Monday 4 January 2016

Sally Mann - Artist Research

Sally Mann (born 1951) is an American photographer, best known for her large black-and-white photographs—at first of her young children, then later of landscapes suggesting decay and death. She has received many awards for her work and is one of the most well known photographers in America. 

Below are three of her photos that I have analysed. 




1984-1991

I like this photo because it is a very natural and it clearly shows the relationship between two sister and how the younger one looks up to the older one and how the older one wants to look after the younger one. I like this photo because it also shows a decisive moment because if the photo had been taken any later they may have looked different and the photograph wouldn't have looked the same. I like that the picture also sort of predicts the future were girls will get messy with their beauty products when they are getting ready, I like this because it is like the young children are role playing and pretending to be adults . 

1984-1991

I like this photo because they are not looking at the camera they are looking at the fire in the background. I like that the background is blurred but you can still what they are looking at. I like that they are not looking at the camera and this is the style of photography that I like as I don't really like posed photographs. I like that the photo is more sepia than black and white as I like the extra shade of colour included in the photograph. 

1984-1991

I like this photo because the story is very clear and again I like that you can see the relationship between the two boys and from the picture you can tell a lot about the relationship from the photo even though it is a black and white photograph. I like that even though you can tell they don't get on they are still holding hands showing that they do like each other and even love each other. 


No comments:

Post a Comment